Wednesday, June 17, 2009

A Day in the Life

          I wanted to give everyone a taste of what it's like to live the life of a writer -- a starving one at that.  First, let me explain the expression "starving writer".  Technically, it means that you are actually starving, but really in this phrase, writers don't live the normal 9 - 5 lifestyle.  Some people are desk people, corporate tycoons if you will.  Others are more visual, creative, and see things, stories, and ideas in their heads.  Neither one is better than the others, but generally, there is more stability with a desk job, and that is what is meant here.  There isn't the stability with writing.  I've written several screenplays, started on a novel (which is on the back burner for now), several poems, and am working on several ideas.  At any moment, these could take off and make money, or they could remain on the screen in front of me or on the paper I, my friends, and colleagues hold in our hands.  In any event, some writers may tell you they get into writing for the money, because it can be a very lucrative event.  But, others will tell you they do it for the love of it, and money doesn't enter our psyche.  This is the category I fall under.  I see people chasing money whether it's friends, strangers, or colleagues, and it makes no sense to me.  Sure you can look around and see prices soaring.  But, ask yourself a question, are you really happy chasing money?  Would you do your job for free?  Because I would, and until I make some serious bank writing, I will always do this.  Therefore, I have no problem being known as a "starving writer".  If you're in the industry, you're more than familiar with this term anyways.  But, I just wanted to explain it in layman's terms.  

          So, a typical day for me and for most writers will be to spend anywhere from four to six hours writing.  This is very common.  The time period varies drastically.  Ideally, I have a very specific time and place where I write either at Borders or the Public Library.  I don't like to write at home, for there are too many distractions.  My ideal time to write is in the afternoon.  I can wake up in the morning, experience the day and gather my thoughts, and start.  Some writers like to immediately start in the morning.  Others like to do it while most people sleep.  Whatever time we choose to write isn't as important as what flows from our pens or what appears on the screen on our computers in front of us.  

         Now,  the best part about being a writer is creation.  Creating stories, visions, and ideas that come from your brain and the great Lord above is the reason I'm a writer.  If this part wasn't fun, then I'd seriously consider another profession.  But, consider Ron Howard's quote.  I'm paraphrasing a little bit I think.  I believe I saw this in the movie theater when I was waiting for a movie to start -- movie quotes, I think AMC calls them.  He says, "I want to make movies that capture people's imaginations -- in their hearts and in their minds."  That's a powerful quote, because I feel the same way.  It's the reason I didn't get into this profession for money.  If you can bring a smile to a person's face, tears to someone's eyes, entertainment, joy, etc. then an artist's job is done.  Whether we want to admit it or not.  Writers are artists as much as a director, painter, singer, or designer.  The key idea here is to help people experience "Katharsis".  And for all of you theater majors like me (well I minored in theater actually), but you know what I'm talking about.  We want to give the intended audience an emotional release somehow.  Let me give you an example.  Recently, I saw the film "Up" in the theater.  I absolutely loved the film.  I think it should win Best Picture at the time of this writing.  I have yet to see Public Enemies, which I think if the previews are indication will be a major contender.  In any event, Up definitely captured my imganation.  Never in a long time as one person on a message board claimed, "have I felt like a kid".  When I read that, I totally agreed.  I cried, I laughed, and I smiled.  Most people don't even know this film is that powerful.  They see it is animated, and think well, this is just a kid's movie.  While it made me feel like a kid, I certainly think there is something here for everyone.  I highly recommend this film.  This is an example of an emotional release or "Katharsis" as Aristotle refers to it.  I salute the writers, because it is very hard to make me care so much for fictional characters as I did in this film.  They definitely have talent and I look forward to theirs and Pixars future work.  

           The other common thing that seems to be addressed in an addition to what we hope to accomplish is what makes a great story.  Well, great writing certainly involves "Katharsis" as I highlighted above, but there is so much more to that.  At the heart of any great story is conflict.  Conflict between an antagonist and protagonist.  While writing takes many forms especially for me, I'm strictly referencing narrative here.  This intrigues me here, because conflict is essentially the foundation of the human condition.  We learn so much about ourselves through it and without conflict in our lives, we'd be nothing more than robots -- robots that just wander aimlessly because we never get the feeling of succeeding.  I'm here to tell you that good conflict is not easy to write.  One of my screenwriting teachers put it this way and again I'm paraphrasing, "Basically, you have one guy (the Protagonist) who is trying to get from Point A to Point B and enter the other guy (the Antagonist) who messes with them and prevents them from getting there."  While Aristotle is actually the main originator of this in the Poetics, it still rings as true during Aristotle's times as it does today.  I challenge all of you reading this to go see a film in the theater and find the main conflict in the film.  Remember, about ninety - nine percent of the time there will be conflict like I've detailed.  But, it's difficult for a few primary reasons.  First, the characters have to be extremely complex and have to have a major character arch for the great stories.  What I mean by this is, each character needs to have a clear goal.  But, it doesn't stop there.  We need to have pathos for them.  We need to understand them and be able to relate to them if they are the protagonist, and if they are the antagonist, we need to clearly identify the opposition between them and the protagonist.  They need a strong character arch by the end of the narrative.  So, the events that happen to them need to lead them to changing or thinking differently.  As you might imagine, this can get difficult.  

          Of course, there are other types of writing, I'm dabbling in such as poetry and songwriting.  There is a girl, I'm kind of dating right now, and she is the inspiration for my poems and songs right now.  So, in between scripting and writing novels, I'm writing these poems and songs.  The subject of them is love.  And love is such a cool thing.  To not experience it is to not live.  We're created to love.  And to express this magical feeling with words and visuaally is so much fun and so fulfilling.  As a man, I hope that somehow, she knows how special she is to me.  I tell her all the time, but at the same time, I hope when I tell her that I wrote her six poems already with more on the way that she appreciates it and it makes her feel special.  She inspires me and I told her that too.  But, it's just so much fun to express my feelings for her into words.  

          Other than that, I have the intention to start writing plays.  I just haven't sat down and started writing one.  But, at the heart of drama are plays.  Shakespeare's plays are amazing, and he's certainly lived on through them.  If I could be half as successful writing them as he would, then I'd be doing well.  Again, for me it's not the movie, but sharing the blood, sweat, and tears of your soul with the world.  And, for me that's what it's all about it.  It makes the hungry days, long writing sessions, and hand cramps all worth it.                                  

         Whether it's that special girl of mine smiling or it's a person I've never met who reads my writing and it inspires them or brings them joy or entertainment, then that's my goal.  We live in a time that is unlike any other.  There is so much going on in our world.  The economic meltdown of a crisis, gas prices soaring, an African American President, celebrities essentially more powerful than ever before, 2012 roaring at us just as Y2K did.  There are endless things that are happening today.  Never before with so much at our fingertips, and life moving so fast, has it been so easy to lose yourself and feel so insignificant and to lose sight of your goal.  If you take anything away from this blog, please know that we all have a special purpose in this world, and the things that are happening in this world today are strictly that, just things.  We can all use the gifts that God gave us.  He blessed me with visual thinking and a passion for writing.  So, I plan to use it, and I love every minute of it.  You all can use yours too.  You don't have to spend money doing it.  The best things in life are free and fun.  Check this out, blogging is writing, and I'm doing so more writing.  Imagine that.  Reach out and make a difference in someone else's life through your gift.  I'll leave you with a great quote I wrote a while back: 

         "A writer is but made of flesh and blood and can and will die.  But, good writing created from a talented writer can live on forever and influence generations to come.  So, write because you love it, but write to help and influence both here and now, in addition to future generations be the best they can be.  Through your writing, change the world."  

                                                  -- Scott Harrison Odom --

                              -- Quote Written on Monday, April 13, 2009 -- 

                             -- Blog Written on June 17, 2009 at 8:25 p.m. --

 

No comments:

Post a Comment